Cowboys' Blake Jarwin "Ready For The Challenge" Of Replacing Jason Witten

105.3 The Fan
May 26, 2020 - 1:20 pm
Categories: 

DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - Blake Jarwin will get the opportunity to start at tight end for the Cowboys this season after former All-Pro Jason Witten moved on to the Las Vegas Raiders this offseason. 

Jarwin joined Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com to talk about the opportunity to replace the future Hall of Famer. 

"I'm grateful that they believe in me to be the future of the tight end position," Jarwin said. "It's my job to never be content with that. To just say 'I got a great deal now and I can coast.' That's never been my approach, and that won't be approach in the future. Now I have to push myself even harder and prove that I deserve what they gave me."

Jarwin and Witten combined to handle the tight end role in 2019 after Witten returned from a brief retirement to sign a one-year deal with the Cowboys. Witten had 63 receptions for 529 yards and four touchdowns while Jarwin corralled 31 passes for 365 yards and three touchdowns. So the opportunity is there for Jarwin to put up some big numbers with Witten off to the desert. 

"I'm ready for the challenge. ... I learned so much from Witt (Witten) and the other guys that came in before me," Jarwin said. I definitely haven't got content with anything. I definitely understand I still have a lot to learn. I gotta be better in all parts of the field. Coach Wells (new tight ends coach Lunda Wells) has done a good job kind of leading me along so far. I'm excited for the task and it's going to be an exciting year."

Jarwin went on to say that Witten reached out to him about three weeks ago to wish him "good luck" and to "not take anything for granted." 

The Cowboys signed Jarwin as an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma State in 2017. They rewarded him this offseason with a three-year extension worth up to $24.25 million and $9.25 million guarenteed.